The U.S. Federal Communications Commission voted unanimously on Thursday to pass a plan to prohibit Chinese companies, such as Huawei and ZTE, which are considered national security threats, from approving the use of equipment in U.S. telecommunications networks.

According to the proposed rules with preliminary approval, the FCC can also revoke equipment authorizations previously issued to Chinese companies.

In an email, a Huawei spokesperson called the FCC’s amendments “misleading and unnecessary punishment.”

Acting FCC Chairman Jessica Rosenworcel (Jessica Rosenworcel) stated that the new measures will “exclude untrusted devices from our communications network… We use the device authorization process for (Huawei and other Chinese devices) in the United States. Use provides opportunities. Therefore, we suggest here: close that door.”

FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr said that since 2018, the FCC has approved more than 3,000 applications from Huawei.

The FCC’s actions will prohibit all future authorizations for communications equipment deemed to pose an unacceptable risk to national security.

In March of this year, in accordance with the 2019 law designed to protect US communications networks, the US Federal Communications Commission listed five Chinese companies as threats to national security.

A group of U.S. lawmakers including Senator Ed Markey (Democrat) and Senator Marco Rubio (Republican) praised the actions of the Federal Communications Commission, saying it reflects the goals of the bipartisan legislation . They stated that the FCC voted to “exclude the damaged Chinese equipment from the U.S. telecommunications network, thereby putting national security first.”

The affected companies include the previously designated Huawei and ZTE, as well as Hytera Communications, Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology and Zhejiang Dahua Technology.

See also  Netflix wants to produce more animated films than Hollywood's largest studio

Huawei stated that “blocking the purchase of equipment related to the country of origin or brand based on’predictive judgments’ is unfounded and discriminatory, and will not help protect the integrity of the US communications network or supply chain.”

In August 2020, the US government prohibited federal agencies from purchasing goods or services from any of these five Chinese companies.

In 2019, the United States included Huawei, Hikvision and other companies on the economic blacklist.

Last year, the FCC listed Huawei and ZTE as national security threats to communications networks-the statement prohibits US companies from using US$8.3 billion (approximately Rs 61,560 crore) of government funds to purchase equipment from these companies.

The FCC finalized the rules in December, requiring operators with ZTE or Huawei equipment to “remove and replace” these equipment. It proposed a compensation plan for this, and US legislators approved US$1.9 billion (approximately Rs. 14,090 crore) to fund it in December.

Rosenworcel said that the FCC will vote in July to finalize the rules governing reimbursement funds.

© Thomson Reuters 2021