More than 1.2 billion people worldwide use WhatsApp, and 200 million in India alone. In fact, this may be one of the first applications that Indians download when buying a new smartphone, because it has become the default SMS sending method in India. But when it automatically downloads all media files (from pictures to videos to the most recent GIF), not to mention audio files and videos, it can also become very annoying. These will not only mess up your phone’s gallery and music player, but also consume a lot of storage and data. You can prevent WhatsApp from automatically saving photos and audio on your phone by the following methods.
How to stop automatic downloading and saving of pictures, videos and other media on Whatsapp for Android
WhatsApp for Android has a switch that allows you to stop downloading images and videos. Methods as below:
- Open WhatsApp and make sure you see the main window showing all the chat history. Tap the three vertical dots in the upper right corner> Settings.
- Now click on Chat Settings>Automatic Media Download. You will see three options: when using cellular data, when connected via Wi-Fi, and when roaming. Tap each option and then disable automatic download by unchecking all three options (image, audio, and video).
To view the photos, you must download them. When you do this, WhatsApp will save them in a folder, and you will be overwhelmed by stupid memes and other unwanted content, which can be seen by anyone opening the phone’s “Gallery” app content. However, these photos can be prevented from appearing in the “Gallery” application. This is how to do it:
- Download Quickpic and open the application.
- Navigate to the WhatsApp media folder. The location of the WhatsApp folder varies from device to device, but it should generally be the following location: internal storage (sometimes labeled as sdcard0)> WhatsApp> media> WhatsApp images,> WhatsApp> media> WhatsApp audio, and WhatsApp> media> WhatsApp video.
- Long press the WhatsApp Images folder and make sure it is selected. Do the same for WhatsApp video and WhatsApp audio folders.
- After selecting three folders, click the three dots icon in the upper right corner> Hide. This will ensure that the Gallery application will not display them. You can still view these images and videos in WhatsApp and through any application that can view hidden folders. However, if you pass your phone to someone, you don’t need to worry about them seeing WhatsApp photos and videos through the Gallery app.
How to hide the last view on WhatsApp
How to stop automatically downloading and saving pictures, videos and other media on WhatsApp on iPhone
You can also turn off the automatic download of media on iPhone through the “Settings” menu.
- Open WhatsApp and click Set value Button in the bottom right corner and click Data and storage usage
- In this menu, you will see Automatic media download Top options
- For photos, audios, videos and documents, select the Never option
Now, only the files you choose to download manually will appear on your phone, and you can even choose to prevent photos and videos from appearing in your phone’s “Camera Roll”.All you need to do is go chatroom In the “Settings” menu, open Save to camera roll Menu, and then close it. This prevents photos sent by people from appearing in the camera roll, and it doesn’t take over your synced photo stream.
How to block contacts on WhatsApp
Not automatically saving images has its advantages, but it also means that you have to download each photo manually. If you still want to download every image in the end, it’s best to make this feature active. Let us know if this tutorial helped you. For more such useful articles, please visit our “how to” section.