Facebook provides users with many privacy options, including the ability to lock your personal information. A locked user’s profile only shows a limited view of that profile to people who are not on Facebook’s friends list. The locked profile will only show photos and posts on the timeline, profile pictures and cover photos, stories and new posts to people in the friends list. In addition, their “public” posts will no longer be public, and only friends can see them.
If you want to lock your Facebook profile, you can do it from the mobile application or browser. However, it should be noted that the desktop version of Facebook cannot choose to lock your profile, but there is a solution. In addition, this feature is limited to Android apps. Read on to learn how to lock your Facebook profile.
Lock Facebook profile via mobile app
To lock your Facebook profile through the Android mobile app, please do the following:
Open the Facebook app and click on your profile
Click the three-dot menu icon next to “Add to Story”
Here, you should see a lock profile option, click on it
The next page will briefly introduce how it works and provide an option at the bottom to lock your profile, then click
You should see a pop-up window saying “You have locked your profile”, click “OK”.
Lock Facebook profile through desktop
Although there is no direct way to lock the application through the browser, if you cannot access the mobile application, there is a workaround:
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/
- Click on your profile icon in the URL and replace “www” with “m” so that the URL now displays as “m.facebook.com/yourprofilename”
- This will take you to the mobile version of Facebook on your desktop browser, and you should see a three-dot menu next to the “Edit profile” option.
- In the three-dot menu, you should see the “Lock profile” option, click it
- Just like the Android version, this next page will show you how the lock works, with the option of “lock your profile” at the bottom.click it
- Your profile is now locked
iOS users can use desktop solutions to lock their personal data or borrow an Android device and follow the steps above.
If you want to unlock your Facebook profile, the steps are the same on the mobile app and on the desktop. Instead of the lock profile option, you will now see an unlock profile option, click on it, and then click Unlock on the next screen. You will see a brief description of how unlocking your profile works at the bottom, and there is an option to unlock your profile, click it, and your profile will be unlocked.