If you do not have a voter ID, you are not eligible to vote in India. You need to have a voter ID card, and your name should appear on the voter list. Even if you spend a little time in India, it is easy to get an Indian voter ID-you can even apply online. Before that, you need to prepare some documents.
How to check if your name is on the voters list in India
Documents required to obtain voter ID in India
To obtain a voter ID, you need two kinds of documents, which you can scan and upload. These are as follows.
- An age proof document (such as the documents listed below):
- Birth certificate or baptism certificate issued by the municipal government or the district office of the Registrar of Births and Deaths
- The last school (government/recognized) birth certificate attended by the applicant or any other recognized educational institution
- If a person of grade 10 or above passes, a copy of the grade 10 mark form should be provided, if the form contains the date of birth as proof of the date of birth
- Transcript for category 8 (if birth date is included)
- If the category 5 transcript contains the date of birth,
- Indian passport
- PAN card
- driving license
- Aadhar letter from UIDAI
- To obtain a voter ID card, you also need a proof of residence document (such as the documents listed below):
- Current bank passbook/kisan passbook/post office current passbook
- Limited card
- Indian passport
- driving license
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Latest lease agreement
- The latest water/telephone/electricity/gas connection bill at this address in the name of the applicant or his immediate family (eg parents)
- Any post/letter/mail sent in the name of the applicant at the ordinary residence address through the Indian Post
You also need a passport-sized photo.
Step-by-step process to apply for a voter ID card online
After collecting all the required documents, you need to start the application process online. Please follow the steps below to apply for a voter ID card online.
- Go to the National Voter Service Portal and click Online application for registration of new voters/due to transfer from AC. Or, you can go directly to the NVSP Form 6 page.
- Select your language from the drop-down menu at the top and fill in all the details required. This includes your name, age, address, etc. You must also upload relevant documents as described above.
- After filling out the form, please check everything carefully and click submit At the end of the page.
You will now receive an email with a link that allows you to track the status of your voter ID application. It may take about 30 days to process your application and issue voter ID. Here are some frequently asked questions about the voter ID online application that we are trying to answer.
Can anyone apply for a voter card online?
Anyone over the age of 18 can apply for a voter card online in India. However, some people are not eligible to run. This includes those who have been declared mentally unsound by the competent court; or prisoners; or have been disqualified from voting due to election-related violations or other corrupt practices.
What is the minimum and maximum age for applying for a voter ID card?
The minimum age to apply for a voter card in India is 18 years old. Please note that if you are under the age of 18 on January 1st of the year when the election is held, you cannot register as a voter. You must wait for the next calendar year to vote. There is no upper limit on the age for applying for a voter card. Unless they are over 18, anyone is eligible to vote.
How does NRI apply for a voter ID card?
Overseas citizens of NRI or India can apply for voter ID online by filling out Form 6A on the NVSP website.
For more tutorials, please visit our methods section.
For the latest technical news and reviews, please follow Advertisement Shout on Twitter, Facebook and Google News. For the latest videos on gadgets and technologies, please subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Toshiba’s DynaEdge AR smart glasses are powered by Windows 10