Telenor, the Norwegian telecommunications operator, said on Monday that due to concerns about the safety of its employees after the military coup on February 1, the company has stopped listing the forced interruption of the Internet in Myanmar.
Although the military government has repeatedly forced Internet providers to shut down or restrict access since it seized power, Telenor tried to increase transparency by listing the order interruptions on its website.
But it issued a statement on Sunday saying: “At present, Telenor cannot disclose the instructions we have received from the Myanmar authorities” and added: “We deeply regret that the list on this website will no longer be updated”.
Spokesperson Hanne Langeland Knudsen told AFP on Monday: “Our overall judgment of the situation now means that we cannot communicate on these instructions,” saying the situation in Myanmar is “chaotic and “I don’t know”, “The safety of our employees has become the top priority” from the beginning.”
Telenor has been active in Myanmar since 2014 and employed 747 people in the region last year.
At present, telecommunications services have been severely damaged. NetBlocks, a surveillance organization based in the United Kingdom, tweeted on Monday night that the country has been “almost completely shutting down the Internet” for the second consecutive night.
Repeated power outages on the Internet have not stopped thousands of people from taking to the streets of Myanmar’s major cities and remote villages, although on Monday the generals deployed more troops as the pressure of repression increased.
Can Realme X7 Pro use OnePlus Nord? We discussed it on the weekly technical podcast Orbital, you can subscribe via Apple Podcast, Google Podcast or RSS, download the episode, or click the play button below.